Lakeshore CI

Lakeshore CI

Saturday, February 15, 2014

Amazing Inside

My first submission- Poster





The Amazing Inside poster had to portray how amazing Lakeshore Collegiate Institute is, through the amazing programs, teachers and students. I decided to originally approach this concept with an abstract style. I created a pattern of swirls, circles and horizontal lines in Illustrator as a test, and I liked the pattern so much that I brought it into Photoshop and started with my poster. A simple experiment with swirls, circles and lines got me thinking, how can such an uncommon combination work so well? The array of patterns represents all of the students at L.C.I, such a diverse group and yet we function like a well-oiled machine.





My first submission- Back of flyer
My first submission had a very simple colour palette, various blues white and black. I wanted to keep it simple, to keep the attention on the event and information not on my design, that is the most import element of design; to not distract from the information. After the committee voted, they liked my background patterns but they liked the layout of Lizzie’s better. So Lizzie and I collaborated to create a mash-up of our two designs. Her blank white square really became the focal point when placed on my complex background.



My first submission- Front of flyer
The font was the most difficult choice we had to make, had to pick a font that worked with the rest of the design and was legible from a distance. After some time and many different fonts tried, we reverted back to the font used in the Lakeshore CI logo, Rockwell. Rockwell worked the best, because it is a clean bold font that is legible from a distance, which was our biggest problem.







FINAL Lizzie's and my edit- Front of flyer
FINAL Lizzie's and my edit- back of flyer
The final product looked very professional, and Lizzie and I created an even stronger piece with ours combined. I learned through this project that collaborating with someone could lead to a stronger design in the end. I feel like my strength is design and appeal, while Lizzie was more precise and would focus on the formatting. I wouldn’t mind working with someone like Lizzie again, after each project I learn more of my talents and myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment